slide-icon

Liverpool: New Bradley Barcola bid imminent as 'deal agreed' with another transfer target

Reds are accelerating pursuit of attacking duo as deadline edges closer

Liverpool’s move for Ibrahim Mbaye is “progressing rapidly” as they also plan a new offer for Paris Saint-Germain team-mate Bradley Barcola, according to new reports.

The Reds are known to be keen on signing both PSG wingers before the transfer window shuts in England on September 1, with new head coach Andoni Iraola in need of further attacking recruits.

While Liverpool have strengthened their defence this summer with the arrivals of Jeremy Jacquet and Ronald Araujo, their only addition in the final third so far has been that of Spain international Victor Munoz, whose £34.5million release clause at Osasuna was triggered during the World Cup.

Iraola’s side remain obviously short on attacking depth to go alongside the likes of record signing Alexander Isak, Munoz and teenage sensation Rio Ngumoha, with Hugo Ekitike a long-term injury absentee and doubts surrounding the Anfield futures of Cody Gakpo and Federico Chiesa.

doc-content image

Liverpool targets: PSG duo Ibrahim Mbaye and Bradley Barcola could both swap Paris for Anfield

AFP/Getty

Academy graduates including Lewis Koumas and Will Wright featured heavily during pre-season, along with fellow youngsters such as Trey Nyoni and Ifeanyi Ndukwe.

Liverpool are also yet to sign a marquee replacement for club icon Mohamed Salah, who left at the end of last season and has subsequently joined Turkish club Trabzonspor.

Barcola is known to be the desired successor to Salah, with French outlet RMC Sport reporting on Tuesday that Liverpool are expected to submit a new offer to PSG this week for the France international as negotiations continue.

There is still said to be a gap in valuations between the two clubs, but Liverpool are believed to remain eager to push ahead with a move.

The same publication report that Liverpool’s separate swoop for Barcola’s fellow PSG winger Mbaye is moving at pace, with talks now set to accelerate after the player agreed terms on a five-year contract that would run until 2031.

Crucially, they insist that transfer rivals Bayer Leverkusen are no longer expected to pursue a deal for the 18-year-old, who was born in France but plays international football for Senegal.

Transfer speculation over Barcola and Mbaye has only increased after both players were left out of the PSG squad entirely for Sunday’s defeat by Ligue 1 rivals Lens in the French Super Cup.

Asked about the duo following that loss, PSG boss Luis Enrique said: “I will only talk about the transfer window at the end of the transfer window, not before or after.

Andoni IraolaTransfer RumorfootballPremier LeagueLiverpoolParis Saint-GermainLigue 1Ibrahim MbayeBradley Barcola